Established in 1985…
COLOTRUST is a statutory trust organized and existing under the laws of the State of Colorado and is intended solely for the use of Colorado local governments. The Trust was created on January 1, 1985 by an indenture of Trust in accordance with the “Pooling Act” which states that any county, city and county, city, town, school district, special district, or other political subdivision of the state, or any department, agency, or instrumentality thereof, or any political or public corporation of the state (local government) is authorized to pool any moneys in the treasury of such local government which are not required to be disbursed, with the same such moneys in the treasury of any other local government in order to take advantage of short-term investments and maximize net interest earnings.
COLOTRUST serves over 1,200 local governments* and has current combined assets of over $6 billion*. COLOTRUST is designed to provide local governments with a convenient method for investing in short-term investments carefully chosen to provide maximum safety and liquidity while still maximizing interest earnings. For complete details see the Trust Indenture and Information Statement.
COLOTRUST is comprised of two funds: COLOTRUST PRIME and COLOTRUST PLUS+. COLOTRUST PRIME invests only in U.S. Treasury and government agencies. COLOTRUST PLUS+ can invest in U.S. Treasury, government agencies, and in the highest-rate commercial paper. Both programs carry a ‘AAAm’ rating from S&P Global Ratings.
A twelve member Board of Trustees, elected by the fund Participants, is responsible for overseeing the management of COLOTRUST, including establishing operating standards and policies. Public Trust Advisors (Public Trust) serves as the investment advisor and administrator.
COLOTRUST has four general objectives:
- To invest only in investments legally permitted under Colorado State Law.
- To minimize risk by managing portfolio investments to preserve principal and maintain a stable Net Asset Value (NAV).
- To maintain the highest money market rating for the COLOTRUST portfolios from a nationally recognized statistical rating organization.
- To manage portfolio investments in a way that ensures that cash will be available as required to finance Participants’ operations.
- To maximize current income to the degree consistent with legality, safety, and liquidity.
This philosophy has made COLOTRUST the largest and most trusted local government investment pool in Colorado since its inception.